DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-6011 Bridge and Lock Tenders
Occupational Description:Operate and tend bridges, canal locks, and lighthouses to permit marine passage on inland waterways, near shores, and at danger points in waterway passages. May supervise such operations. Includes drawbridge operators, lock operators, and slip bridge operators.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 9 - South Central||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer||2,030||$17.41/hr||N/A|
|Truck Drivers, Light or Delivery Services||470||$13.83/hr||N/A|
|Earth Drillers, Except Oil and Gas||20||$21.53/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Bridge and Lock Tenders
- Controls machinery to open and close canal locks and dams, railroad or highway drawbridges, or horizontally or vertically adjustable bridges.
- Moves levers to activate traffic signals, navigation lights, and alarms.
- Operates gas, steam, and hydroelectric generating units to control mechanisms to open locks or bridge.
- Observes approaching vessels to determine size and speed, and listens for whistle signal indicating desire to pass.
- Signals vessels to proceed.
- Observes positions of vessels to ensure optimum utilization of lock space or bridge opening space.
- Attaches rope or cable lines to bitt on lock deck or wharf to secure vessel.
- Relays messages to vessels in waterway.
- Inspects bridge and bridge or canal auxiliary equipment.
- Logs data, such as water levels and weather conditions.
- Prepares accident reports.
- Cleans, oils, greases, and makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment.
- Records names, type and destinations of vessels passing through bridge opening or locks, and number of trains or vehicles crossing bridge.
- Writes and submits maintenance work requisitions.
- Turns valves to increase or decrease water level in lock.