DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-3042 Technical Writers
Occupational Description:Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||50||6||$25.85/hr||$1.97/hr||$16.54/hr||$19.23/hr||$23.26/hr||$31.18/hr||$39.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Writers and Authors||70||$21.02/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Technical Writers
- Organizes material and completes writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Edits, standardizes, or makes changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Observes production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
- Maintains records and files of work and revisions.
- Selects photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
- Confers with customer representatives, vendors, plant executives, or publisher to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication.
- Arranges for typing, duplication, and distribution of material.
- Draws sketches to illustrate specified materials or assembly sequence.
- Analyzes developments in specific field to determine need for revisions in previously published materials and development of new material.
- Reviews manufacturer's and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
- Reviews published materials and recommends revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and methods of reproduction and binding.
- Assists in laying out material for publication.
- Interviews production and engineering personnel and reads journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Studies drawings, specifications, mock ups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail.