DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-2052 Pharmacy Technicians
Occupational Description:Prepare medications under the direction of a pharmacist. May measure, mix, count out, label, and record amounts and dosages of medications according to prescription orders.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||700||39||$16.47/hr||$0.55/hr||$10.82/hr||$13.36/hr||$16.56/hr||$19.63/hr||$22.11/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||430||$21.52/hr||N/A|
|Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians||210||$24.97/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Pharmacy Technicians
- Assists pharmacist to prepare and dispense medication.
- Prepares intravenous (IV) packs, using sterile technique, under supervision of hospital pharmacist.
- Counts stock and enters data in computer to maintain inventory records.
- Cleans equipment and sterilizes glassware according to prescribed methods.
- Mixes pharmaceutical preparations, fills bottles with prescribed tablets and capsules, and types labels for bottles.
- Receives and stores incoming supplies.
- Processes records of medication and equipment dispensed to hospital patient, computes charges, and enters data in computer.