DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
31-1012 Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants*
Occupational Description:Provide basic patient care under direction of nursing staff. Perform duties, such as feed, bathe, dress, groom, or move patients, or change linens. Exclude "Home Health Aides" (31-1011) and "Psychiatric Aides" (31-1013).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||4,590||190||$13.01/hr||$0.50/hr||$9.83/hr||$10.85/hr||$12.69/hr||$14.81/hr||$17.41/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Home Health Aides||2,450||$11.01/hr||N/A|
|Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics||320||$14.78/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants*
- Feeds patients unable to feed themselves.
- Sets up equipment, such as oxygen tents, portable x-ray machines, and overhead irrigation bottles.
- Prepares food trays.
- Bathes, grooms, and dresses patients.
- Measures and records food and liquid intake and output.
- Measures and records vital signs.
- Administers medication as directed by physician or nurse.
- Cleans room and changes linen.
- Stores, prepares, and issues dressing packs, treatment trays, and other supplies.
- Administers catheterizations, bladder irrigations, enemas, and douches.
- Sterilizes equipment and supplies.
- Administers massages and alcohol rubs.
- Transports patient to areas, such as operating and x-ray rooms.
- Turns and re-positions bedfast patients, alone or with assistance, to prevent bedsores.
- Assists patient to walk.