DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
35-2014 Cooks, Restaurant
Occupational Description:Prepare, season, and cook dishes such as soups, meats, vegetables, or desserts in restaurants. May order supplies, keep records and accounts, price items on menu, or plan menu.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||320||45||$10.27/hr||$0.23/hr||$8.06/hr||$8.96/hr||$10.20/hr||$11.37/hr||$13.28/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Office and Administrative Support Workers||1,890||$23.90/hr||N/A|
|Food Preparation Workers||740||$10.16/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Food Preparation and Serving Workers||650||$13.40/hr||N/A|
|Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists||570||$11.02/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||440||$9.31/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Cooks, Restaurant
- Weighs, measures, and mixes ingredients according to recipe or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Seasons and cooks food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Regulates temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Observes and tests food to determine that it is cooked, by tasting, smelling, or piercing, and turns or stirs food if necessary.
- Bakes, roasts, broils, and steams meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Bakes bread, rolls, cakes, and pastry.
- Washes, peels, cuts, and seeds fruits and vegetables to prepare fruits and vegetables for use.
- Inspects food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices.
- Estimates food consumption and requisitions or purchases supplies, or procures food from storage.
- Butchers and dresses animals, fowl or shellfish, or cuts and bones meat prior to cooking.
- Carves and trims meats, such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Plans items on menu.
- Portions, arranges, and garnishes food, and serves food to waiter or patron.