DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Receive and pay out money. Keep records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||890||85||$12.66/hr||$0.19/hr||$10.17/hr||$11.01/hr||$12.44/hr||$14.14/hr||$15.32/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||4,810||$13.30/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||1,120||$19.24/hr||N/A|
|Secretaries, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive||1,110||$16.12/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||210||$17.51/hr||N/A|
|New Accounts Clerks||160||$17.02/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||90||$17.06/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tellers
- Receives checks and cash for deposit, verifies amount, and examines checks for endorsements.
- Cashes checks and pays out money after verification of signatures and customer balances.
- Examines coupons and bills presented for payment to verify issue, payment date, and amount due.
- Enters customers' transactions into computer to record transactions and issues computer-generated receipts.
- Prepares daily inventory of currency, drafts, and travelers' checks.
- Counts currency, coins, and checks received for deposit, shipment to branch banks, or Federal Reserve Bank by hand or currency-counting machine.
- Issues checks to bond owners in settlement of transactions.
- Quotes unit exchange rate, following daily international rate sheet or computer display.
- Balances currency, coin, and checks in cash drawer at end of shift and calculates daily transactions.
- Composes, types, and mails correspondence relating to discrepancies, errors, and outstanding unpaid items.
- Explains, promotes, or sells products or services, such as travelers checks, savings bonds, money orders, and cashier's checks.
- Gives information to customer about foreign currency regulations and computes exchange value and transaction fee for currency exchange.
- Removes deposits from automated teller machines and night depository, and counts and balances cash in them.