DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
Occupational Description:Install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes. May install or service street lights, intercom systems, or electrical control systems. Excludes ôSecurity and Fire Alarm Systems Installers" (49-2098).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||870||121||$25.28/hr||$1.02/hr||$15.54/hr||$20.71/hr||$25.84/hr||$30.28/hr||$34.65/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers||1,110||$12.22/hr||N/A|
|Model Makers, Metal and Plastic||70||$23.65/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Drafters||50||$26.19/hr||N/A|
|Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment||50||$28.56/hr||N/A|
|Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers||50||$16.22/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Electricians
- Installs electrical wiring, equipment, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Diagnoses malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools.
- Tests electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices, such as ohmmeter, voltmeter, and oscilloscope.
- Drives vehicle, operates flood lights, and places flares during power failure or emergency.
- Directs and trains workers to install, maintain, or repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures.
- Possesses electrician's license or identification card to meet governmental regulations.
- Constructs and fabricates parts, using hand tools and specifications.
- Climbs ladder to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures.
- Prepares sketches of location of wiring and equipment or follows blueprints to determine location of equipment and conformance to safety codes.
- Readies and assembles electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, using specifications and hand tools.
- Maintains and repairs or replaces wiring, equipment and fixtures, using hand tools.
- Inspects systems and electrical parts to detect hazards, defects, and need for adjustments or repair.
- Plans layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures consistent with specifications and local codes.