DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2211 Sheet Metal Workers
Occupational Description:Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings. Work may involve any of the following: setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; or inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces. Includes sheet metal duct installers who install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||150||24||$23.08/hr||$1.71/hr||$11.26/hr||$14.77/hr||$23.52/hr||$30.21/hr||$34.73/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Tool and Die Makers||280||$21.73/hr||N/A|
|Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||190||$14.55/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||160||$15.56/hr||N/A|
|Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||20||$16.83/hr||N/A|
|Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||N/A||$14.59/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||$16.71/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Sheet Metal Workers
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines, such as shears, brakes, presses, and routers, to cut, bend, block, and form materials.
- Welds, solders, bolts, rivets, screws, clips, caulks, or bonds component parts to assemble products, using hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Lays out and marks dimensions and reference lines on material, using scribes, dividers, squares, and rulers.
- Selects gauge and type of sheet metal or nonmetallic material, according to product specifications.
- Inspects assemblies and installation for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, scales, dial indicators, gauges, and micrometers.
- Determines sequence and methods of fabricating, assembling, and installing sheet metal products, using blueprints, sketches, or product specifications.
- Installs assemblies in supportive framework according to blueprints, using hand tools, power tools, and lifting and handling devices.
- Shapes metal material over anvil, block or other form, using hand tools.
- Trims, files, grinds, deburrs, buffs, and smoothes surfaces, using hand tools and portable power tools.