DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3042 Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, graders, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining. Excludes ôRail Car Repairers" (49-3043) and "Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists" (49-3031).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||150||22||$22.79/hr||$0.96/hr||$15.52/hr||$18.65/hr||$23.01/hr||$26.83/hr||$30.51/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators||620||$21.28/hr||N/A|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||540||$20.69/hr||N/A|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||260||$22.93/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||20||$14.14/hr||N/A|
|Locksmiths and Safe Repairers||10||$22.82/hr||N/A|
|Mechanical Door Repairers||N/A||$17.11/hr||N/A|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||N/A||$17.17/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Repairs and replaces damaged or worn parts.
- Welds or cuts metal, and welds broken parts and structural members, using electric or gas welder.
- Operates and inspects machines or heavy equipment to diagnose defects.
- Directs workers engaged in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly or disassembly of equipment.
- Immerses parts in tanks of solvent or sprays parts with grease solvent to clean parts.
- Adjusts, maintains, and repairs or replaces engines and subassemblies, including transmissions and crawler heads, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes.
- Dismantles and reassembles heavy equipment, using hoists and hand tools.
- Overhauls and tests machines or equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.