DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-7032 Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
Occupational Description:Operate or tend machinery equipped with scoops, shovels, or buckets, to excavate and load loose materials. Excludes “Dredge Operators" (53-7031).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 10 - Southeast||100||39||$18.01/hr||$0.90/hr||$15.50/hr||$16.24/hr||$17.48/hr||$18.72/hr||$22.10/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators||1,060||$16.33/hr||N/A|
|Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators||780||$22.70/hr||N/A|
|Highway Maintenance Workers||480||$20.75/hr||N/A|
|Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators||110||$17.59/hr||N/A|
|Crane and Tower Operators||40||$31.76/hr||N/A|
|Logging Equipment Operators||10||$13.27/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Operates power machinery, such as powered-shovel, stripping-shovel, scraper loader (mucking machine), or back-hoe (trench-excavating machine) to excavate and load material.
- Measures and verifies levels of rock or gravel, base, and other excavated material.
- Lubricates and repairs machinery and replaces parts, such as gears, bearings, and bucket teeth.
- Directs ground workers engaged in activities, such as moving stakes or markers.
- Receives written or oral instructions to move or excavate material.
- Observes hand signals, grade stakes, and other markings when operating machines.
- Moves controls to position boom, lower and drag bucket through material, and release material at unloading point.
- Drives machine to work site.
- Directs workers engaged in placing blocks and outriggers to prevent capsizing of machine when lifting heavy loads.