DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-1022 Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
Occupational Description:Buy merchandise or commodities, other than farm products, for resale to consumers at the wholesale or retail level, including both durable and nondurable goods. Analyze past buying trends, sales records, price, and quality of merchandise to determine value and yield. Select, order, and authorize payment for merchandise according to contractual agreements. May conduct meetings with sales personnel and introduce new products. Includes assistant wholesale and retail buyers of nonfarm products.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||2,140||330||$31.95/hr||$2.67/hr||$19.83/hr||$22.81/hr||$27.72/hr||$35.07/hr||$51.37/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||20,250||$32.98/hr||N/A|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products||6,470||$40.50/hr||N/A|
|Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services Sales Agents||6,360||$32.52/hr||N/A|
|Public Relations Specialists||2,790||$27.50/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Examines, selects, orders, and purchases merchandise from suppliers or other merchants.
- Inspects, grades, or approves merchandise or products to determine value or yield.
- Authorizes payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Conducts staff meetings with sales personnel to introduce new merchandise.
- Approves advertising materials.
- Provides clerks with information, such as price, mark-ups or mark-downs, manufacturer number, season code, and style number to print on price tags.
- Trains purchasing or sales personnel.
- Arranges for transportation of purchases.
- Sets or recommends mark-up rates, mark-down rates, and selling prices for merchandise.
- Analyzes sales records and trends to determine current or expected demand and minimum inventory required.
- Confers with sales and purchasing personnel to obtain information about customer needs and preferences.
- Consults with store or merchandise managers about budget and goods to be purchased.