DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
13-1031 Claims Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
Occupational Description:Review settled claims to determine that payments and settlements are made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation. May also settle insurance claims. Excludes "Fire Inspectors and Investigators" (33-2021).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||3,750||335||$28.98/hr||$0.55/hr||$18.09/hr||$22.74/hr||$28.06/hr||$34.81/hr||$41.20/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Customer Service Representatives||31,750||$17.97/hr||N/A|
|Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products||4,070||$29.39/hr||N/A|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||3,030||$31.40/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||2,300||$17.60/hr||N/A|
|Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs||1,570||$23.70/hr||N/A|
|Appraisers and Assessors of Real Estate||1,350||$25.04/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||790||$21.79/hr||N/A|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||760||$33.60/hr||N/A|
|Title Examiners, Abstractors, and Searchers||740||$20.04/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage||80||$29.53/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Claims Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Collects evidence to support contested claims in court.
- Communicates with former associates to verify employment record and to obtain background information regarding persons or businesses applying for credit.
- Prepares report of findings of investigation.
- Obtains credit information from banks and other credit services.
- Refers questionable claims to investigator or claims adjuster for investigation or settlement.
- Examines claims form and other records to determine insurance coverage.
- Interviews or corresponds with claimant and witnesses, consults police and hospital records, and inspects property damage to determine extent of liability.
- Analyzes information gathered by investigation and reports findings and recommendations.
- Examines titles to property to determine validity and acts as company agent in transactions with property owners.
- Negotiates claim settlements and recommends litigation when settlement cannot be negotiated.
- Interviews or corresponds with agents and claimants to correct errors or omissions and to investigate questionable entries.
- Analyzes data used in settling claim to determine its validity in payment of claims.
- Reports overpayments, underpayments, and other irregularities.
- Confers with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation.
- Investigates and assesses damage to property.