DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
23-2011 Paralegals and Legal Assistants
Occupational Description:Assist lawyers by investigating facts, preparing legal documents, or researching legal precedent. Conduct research to support a legal proceeding, to formulate a defense, or to initiate legal action. Excludes “Legal Secretaries” (43-6012).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||3,470||229||$27.39/hr||$0.91/hr||$16.36/hr||$20.81/hr||$26.65/hr||$33.31/hr||$39.74/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||4,110||$18.62/hr||N/A|
|Court, Municipal, and License Clerks||1,410||$19.37/hr||N/A|
|Title Examiners, Abstractors, and Searchers||630||$21.45/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Paralegals and Legal Assistants
- Prepares legal documents, including briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, contracts, and real estate closing statements.
- Investigates facts and law of cases to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
- Appraises and inventories real and personal property for estate planning.
- Calls upon witnesses to testify at hearing.
- Arbitrates disputes between parties and assists in real estate closing process.
- Presents arguments and evidence to support appeal at appeal hearing.
- Keeps and monitors legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date.
- Directs and coordinates law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Answers questions regarding legal issues pertaining to civil service hearings.
- Prepares affidavits or other documents, maintains document file, and files pleadings with court clerk.
- Gathers and analyzes research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.