DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
33-9021 Private Detectives and Investigators
Occupational Description:Gather, analyze, compile and report information regarding individuals or organizations to clients, or detect occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||630||30||$19.85/hr||$0.67/hr||$15.45/hr||$16.63/hr||$18.60/hr||$21.92/hr||$25.48/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Correctional Officers and Jailers||2,090||$22.39/hr||N/A|
|Detectives and Criminal Investigators||760||$33.60/hr||N/A|
|Fire Inspectors and Investigators||100||$33.59/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Private Detectives and Investigators
- Enforces conformance to establishment rules and protects persons or property.
- Questions persons to obtain evidence for cases of divorce, child custody, or missing persons, or individuals character or financial status.
- Observes employees or customers and patrols premises to detect violations and obtain evidence, using binoculars, cameras, and television.
- Assists victims, police, fire department, and others during emergencies.
- Evaluates performance and honesty of employees by posing as customer or employee and comparing employee to standards.
- Locates persons using phone or mail directories to collect money owed or to serve legal papers.
- Testifies at hearings and court trials to present evidence.
- Writes reports and case summaries to document investigations or inform supervisors.
- Alerts staff and superiors of presence of suspect in establishment.
- Confers with establishment officials, security department, police, or postal officials to identify problems, provide information, and receive instructions.
- Counts cash and reviews transactions, sales checks, and register tapes to verify amount of cash and shortages.
- Obtains and analyzes information on suspects, crimes, and disturbances to solve cases, identify criminal activity, and maintain public peace and order.
- Warns and ejects troublemakers from premises and apprehends and releases suspects to authorities or security personnel.
- Examines crime scene for clues or fingerprints and submits evidence to laboratory for analysis.