DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4031 Court, Municipal, and License Clerks
Occupational Description:Perform clerical duties for courts of law, municipalities, or governmental licensing agencies and bureaus. May prepare docket of cases to be called; secure information for judges and court; prepare draft agendas or bylaws for town or city council; answer official correspondence; keep fiscal records and accounts; issue licenses or permits; and record data, administer tests, or collect fees. Clerks of Court are classified in “Managers, All Other” (11-9199).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||1,580||60||$19.93/hr||$0.58/hr||$13.85/hr||$16.23/hr||$19.43/hr||$23.63/hr||$27.25/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||33,520||$14.70/hr||N/A|
|Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants||16,280||$22.54/hr||N/A|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||12,640||$14.47/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||5,710||$18.31/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||5,250||$10.49/hr||N/A|
|Paralegals and Legal Assistants||3,120||$26.92/hr||N/A|
|Compliance Officers, Except Agriculture, Construction, Health and Safety, and Transportation||3,030||$31.40/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||2,300||$17.60/hr||N/A|
|Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan||2,090||$14.95/hr||N/A|
|Hotel, Motel, and Resort Desk Clerks||2,030||$11.03/hr||N/A|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||790||$21.79/hr||N/A|
|Title Examiners, Abstractors, and Searchers||740||$20.04/hr||N/A|
|Postal Service Clerks||550||$26.11/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Court, Municipal, and License Clerks
- Prepares docket or calendar of cases to be called, using typewriter or computer.
- Instructs parties when to appear in court.
- Explains procedures or forms to parties in case.
- Records minutes of court proceedings, using stenotype machine or shorthand, and transcribes testimony, using typewriter or computer.
- Notifies district attorney's office of cases prosecuted by district attorney.
- Administers oath to witnesses.
- Collects court fees or fines and records amounts collected.
- Records case disposition, court orders, and arrangement for payment of court fees.
- Examines legal documents submitted to court for adherence to law or court procedures.
- Prepares case folders, and posts, files, or routes documents.
- Secures information for judges, and contacts witnesses, attorneys, and litigants to obtain information for court.
- Prepares agendas and bylaws for town council.
- Prepares reports on civic needs.
- Records minutes of council meetings.
- Keeps fiscal records and accounts.
- Answers official correspondence.
- Questions applicant to obtain information, such as name, address, and age, and records data on prescribed forms.
- Evaluates information obtained to determine applicant qualification for licensure.
- Conducts oral, visual, written, or performance test to determine applicant qualifications.
- Submits fees and reports to government for record.
- Counts collected fees and applications.
- Collects prescribed fee.
- Issues driver, automobile, marriage, dog, or other license.