DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-4151 Order Clerks
Occupational Description:Receive and process incoming orders for materials, merchandise, classified ads, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Generally receives orders via mail, phone, fax, or other electronic means. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, shipping dates, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints. Excludes "Dispatchers, Except Police, Fire, and Ambulance" (43-5032) who both dispatch and take orders for services.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||2,620||227||$17.77/hr||$0.33/hr||$11.64/hr||$14.28/hr||$17.37/hr||$21.31/hr||$25.39/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||13,020||$14.21/hr||N/A|
|Bill and Account Collectors||5,530||$17.15/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||4,800||$10.12/hr||N/A|
|Loan Interviewers and Clerks||4,110||$18.62/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Sales Agents||3,650||$24.16/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||2,150||$17.74/hr||N/A|
|New Accounts Clerks||580||$15.90/hr||N/A|
|Library Assistants, Clerical||470||$13.20/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Order Clerks
- Receives and handles customer complaints.
- Routes or relays orders to specified department or unit to prepare and ship orders to designated locations.
- Confers with production, sales, shipping, warehouse, or common carrier personnel to expedite or trace merchandise or delayed shipments.
- Computes total charge for merchandise or services and shipping charges.
- Recommends merchandise or services to customer.
- Attempts to sell additional merchandise or service to prospective or current customers by phone or through visits.
- Recommends type of packing or labeling needed on order.
- Inspects outgoing work for compliance with customer's specifications.
- Collects charge vouchers and cash for service and keeps record of transaction.
- Checks inventory control to determine availability of merchandise and notifies department of order that would deplete stock.
- Calculates and compiles statistics and prepares reports for management.
- Files copies of orders received or posts order on records.
- Reviews orders for completeness according to reporting procedures and forwards incomplete orders for further processing.
- Writes or types information on form to record customer's requests and specifications.
- Informs customer by mail or phone of information, such as unit price, shipping date, anticipated delay, and additional information needed.
- Prepares invoices and shipping documents.