DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5051 Postal Service Clerks
Occupational Description:Perform any combination of tasks in a post office, such as receive letters and parcels; sell postage and revenue stamps, postal cards, and stamped envelopes; fill out and sell money orders; place mail in pigeon holes of mail rack or in bags; and examine mail for correct postage.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||550||0||$26.05/hr||$0.71/hr||$26.10/hr||$26.10/hr||$26.11/hr||$26.12/hr||$26.68/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Office Clerks, General||33,520||$14.70/hr||N/A|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||5,710||$18.31/hr||N/A|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||5,250||$10.49/hr||N/A|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||2,300||$17.60/hr||N/A|
|Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service||2,000||$13.47/hr||N/A|
|Library Assistants, Clerical||700||$13.41/hr||N/A|
|Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping||340||$17.36/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Postal Service Clerks
- Collects payment for postage stamps, postal cards, stamped envelopes, metered postage, and money orders.
- Answers questions pertaining to mail regulations, procedures, postage rates, and mail delivery.
- Feeds mail into electric-electronic postage canceling device or hand stamps to cancel postage.
- Transports mail from one work station to another within same postal office.
- Registers and insures letters and parcels.
- Assists public in complying with federal regulations of Postal Service and other federal agencies, such as registration of aliens.
- Posts announcements on centrally located bulletin board to distribute government-related information to general public.
- Receives, registers, and refers for investigation complaints regarding mail theft, delivery, lost mail, and damaged mail.
- Calibrates postage meters.
- Examines mail for correct postage.
- Weighs and computes mailing costs of letters and parcels based on type, weight, and destination.
- Sorts mail according to groups and destination by hand or by operating electronic mail-sorting or scanning device.