DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-9011 Computer Operators
Occupational Description:Monitor and control electronic computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to process business, scientific, engineering, and other data according to operating instructions. Monitor and respond to operating and error messages. May enter commands at a computer terminal and set controls on computer and peripheral devices. Excludes “Computer Occupations” (15-1100) and "Data Entry Keyers" (43-9021).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||590||66||$21.42/hr||$0.61/hr||$14.67/hr||$17.30/hr||$21.06/hr||$25.72/hr||$28.94/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Medical Records and Health Information Technicians||1,870||$19.58/hr||N/A|
|Word Processors and Typists||770||$20.19/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Computer Operators
- Enters commands, using computer terminal, and activates controls on computer and peripheral equipment to integrate and operate equipment.
- Diagnoses reasons for equipment malfunction and enters commands to correct error or stoppage and resume operations.
- Records information, such as computer operating time and problems which occurred, such as down time, and actions taken.
- Clears equipment at end of operating run and reviews schedule to determine next assignment.
- Assists workers in classifying, cataloging, and maintaining tapes.
- Separates output, when needed, and sends data to specified users.
- Notifies supervisor of errors or equipment stoppage.
- Answers telephone calls to assist computer users encountering problems.
- Reads job set-up instructions to determine equipment to be used and order of use.
- Observes peripheral equipment operation and error messages displayed on terminal monitor to detect faulty output or machine stoppage.
- Enters commands to clear computer system and start operation, using keyboard of computer terminal.
- Loads peripheral equipment with selected materials for operating runs, or oversees loading of peripheral equipment by peripheral equipment operators.