DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2071 Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
Occupational Description:Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||550||254||$19.20/hr||$1.31/hr||$12.86/hr||$16.15/hr||$18.80/hr||$22.16/hr||$26.12/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators||4,300||$17.89/hr||N/A|
|Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators||2,730||$29.10/hr||N/A|
|Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators||430||$14.79/hr||N/A|
|Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators||340||$11.85/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Operates machine or manually rolls surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Sets up forms and lays out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mix.
- Cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment, according to specifications, using mechanics' hand tools, or reports malfunction to supervisor.
- Fill tank, hopper, or machine with paving materials.
- Installs dies, cutters, and extensions to screed onto machine, using hand tools.
- Drives machine onto truck trailer and drives truck to transport machine to and from job site.
- Lights burner or starts heating unit of machine and regulates temperature.
- Monitors machine operation and observes distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow.
- Operate machine to spread, smooth, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt.
- Operate machine to mix and spray binding, waterproofing, and curing compounds.
- Operates machine to clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and to rout out cracks in pavement.
- Starts machine, engages clutch, pushes and moves levers, and turns wheels to control and guide machine along forms or guidelines.
- Drives and operates curbing machine to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.