DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-2021 Radio Mechanics
Occupational Description:Repair, install or maintain mobile or stationary radio transmitting, broadcasting, and receiving equipment, and two-way radio communications systems used in cellular telecommunications, mobile broadband, ship-to-shore, aircraft-to-ground communications, and radio equipment in service and emergency vehicles. May test and analyze network coverage.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||20||0||$27.89/hr||$0.57/hr||$21.99/hr||$24.58/hr||$25.33/hr||$31.48/hr||$36.94/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers||2,070||$31.64/hr||N/A|
|Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers||520||$20.41/hr||N/A|
|Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers||140||$20.88/hr||N/A|
|Sound Engineering Technicians||130||$24.77/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Radio Mechanics
- Locates defects, such as loose connections, broken wires, or burned-out components, using schematic diagrams, test equipment, and inspection tags.
- Inspects wiring and soldering, and performs repairs, using soldering iron, wire cutters, pliers, and wiring diagram.
- Tests equipment for power output, frequency, and calibration, using oscilloscope, circuit analyzer, frequency meter, wattmeter, ammeter, and voltmeter.
- Replaces defective components, such as conductors, resistors, semiconductors, and integrated circuits, using soldering iron, wire cutters, and hand tools.
- Removes and replaces defective units that are not repairable.
- Installs, tests, adjusts, modifies, and repairs intercommunication systems.
- Tests emergency transmitter to ensure readiness for immediate use.
- Inserts plugs into receptacles and bolts or screws leads to terminals to connect equipment to power source, using hand tools.
- Adjusts receivers for maximum sensitivity and transmitters for maximum output, using frequency meter.
- Monitors radio range station to detect flaws in transmission and adjusts controls to eliminate flaws.
- Tests noise level and audio quality, using audiometer.
- Tests batteries with hydrometer and ammeter, and charges batteries.