DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-2095 Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
Occupational Description:Inspect, test, repair, or maintain electrical equipment in generating stations, substations, and in-service relays.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||160||22||$34.34/hr||$0.57/hr||$24.82/hr||$29.65/hr||$34.98/hr||$40.59/hr||$44.07/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators||850||$27.74/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||290||$26.27/hr||N/A|
|Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door||270||$28.28/hr||N/A|
|Power Plant Operators||170||$37.90/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Repairs, replaces, and cleans equipment, such as brushes, commutators, windings, bearings, relays, switches, controls, and instruments.
- Disconnects voltage regulators, bolts, and screws, and connects replacement regulators to high-voltage lines.
- Prepares reports of work performed.
- Analyzes test data to diagnose malfunctions and evaluate effect of system modifications.
- Paints, repairs, and maintains buildings and sets forms and pours concrete footings for installation of heavy equipment.
- Notifies personnel of need for equipment shutdown requiring changes from normal operation to maintain service.
- Tests insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, using testing apparatus, and calculating insulation loss.
- Repairs or rebuilds circuit breakers, transformers, and lightning arresters by replacing worn parts.
- Inspects and tests equipment and circuits to identify malfunction or defect, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Tests oil in circuit breakers and transformers for dielectric strength and periodically refills.