DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
49-3052 Motorcycle Mechanics
Occupational Description:Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, dirt bikes, or similar motorized vehicles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||N/A||40||$17.75/hr||$0.67/hr||$14.28/hr||$15.81/hr||$17.29/hr||$18.77/hr||$22.43/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||2,260||$23.32/hr||N/A|
|Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers||1,100||$26.42/hr||N/A|
|Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers||210||$22.10/hr||N/A|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||180||$18.35/hr||N/A|
|Locksmiths and Safe Repairers||80||$19.21/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Motorcycle Mechanics
- Dismantles engine and repairs or replaces defective parts, such as magneto, carburetor, and generator.
- Reassembles and tests subassembly unit.
- Listens to engine, examines vehicle's frame, and confers with customer to determine nature and extent of malfunction or damage.
- Connects test panel to engine and measures generator output, ignition timing, and other engine performance indicators.
- Disassembles subassembly unit and examines condition, movement or alignment of parts visually or using gauges.
- Replaces defective parts, using hand tools, arbor press, flexible power press, or power tools.
- Hammers out dents and bends in frame, welds tears and breaks, and reassembles frame and reinstalls engine.
- Repairs or replaces other parts, such as headlight, horn, handlebar controls, gasoline and oil tanks, starter, and muffler.
- Repairs and adjusts motorcycle subassemblies such as forks, transmissions, brakes, and drive chain, according to specifications.
- Removes cylinder heads, grinds valves, and scrapes off carbon, and replaces defective valves, pistons, cylinders and rings, using hand tools and power tools.