DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4032 Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend drilling machines to drill, bore, ream, mill, or countersink metal or plastic work pieces.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||290||89||$18.98/hr||$0.67/hr||$12.01/hr||$16.25/hr||$19.64/hr||$22.15/hr||$24.86/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||4,020||$17.06/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||1,190||$17.89/hr||N/A|
|Tool and Die Makers||880||$26.32/hr||N/A|
|Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||290||$20.84/hr||N/A|
|Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers||240||$13.91/hr||N/A|
|Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners||90||$18.64/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Operates single- or multiple-spindle drill press to bore holes to perform machining operations on metal, nonmetallic, or plastic workpieces.
- Studies machining instructions to determine dimensional and finish specifications, sequence of operation, setup, and tooling requirements.
- Installs tool in spindle.
- Selects cutting tool according to instructions and knowledge of metal properties.
- Operates tracing attachment to duplicate contours from templates or models.
- Lifts workpiece either manually or with hoist onto machine table, or directs crane operator to lift and position workpiece.
- Verifies conformance of machined work to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, micrometers, and fixed and telescoping gauges.
- Positions and secures workpiece on table with bolts, jigs, clamps, shims, or other holding devices, using machining hand tools.
- Lays out reference lines and machining locations on work, applying knowledge of shop math and layout techniques, using layout tools.