DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4033 Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||1,190||172||$18.06/hr||$0.41/hr||$12.29/hr||$15.13/hr||$17.89/hr||$21.22/hr||$23.50/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||4,020||$17.06/hr||N/A|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||1,430||$16.29/hr||N/A|
|Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||1,390||$17.53/hr||N/A|
|Tool and Die Makers||880||$26.32/hr||N/A|
|Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||600||$16.30/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||440||$21.02/hr||N/A|
|Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||290||$20.84/hr||N/A|
|Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers||240||$13.91/hr||N/A|
|Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||150||$17.39/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Moves machine controls to index workpiece and adjust machine for pre-selected operational settings.
- Activates machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpiece, according to specifications.
- Computes machine indexing and settings for specified dimension and base reference points.
- Observes and adjusts machine operation.
- Mounts and positions tools in machine chuck, spindle, or other tool holding device to specifications, using hand tools.
- Grinds, sharpens, or hones tools, dies, and products to prescribed dimensions, using power tools, hand tools, and precision measuring instruments.
- Lifts and positions workpiece manually or with hoist, and secures in hopper, on machine table, faceplate or chuck, using clamps.
- Inspects or measures workpiece, using measuring instruments, such as gauges or micrometers for conformance to specifications.
- Maintains stock of machine parts and machining tools.
- Repairs or replaces machine parts, using hand tools or notifies engineering personnel when corrective action is required.
- Brushes or sprays lubricating compound on workpiece or turns valve handle and directs flow of coolant against tool and workpiece.
- Measures workpieces and lays out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Studies blueprints, work order, or machining instructions to determine product dimensions, tooling, and to plan operational sequence.
- Selects machine tooling to be used in machine operation, utilizing knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Threads and hand feeds materials through machine cutters or abraders.
- Sets and adjusts machine controls according to product specifications, utilizing knowledge of machine operation.
- Repairs or replaces machine parts to maintain machine in operational condition.
- Removes workpiece and examines finish or luster to ensure surface meets specifications.
- Starts and observes machine operation for conformance to specifications.
- Selects buffing or polishing tools and positions and mounts tools to machine tool, chuck, or jig, using hand tools.
- Reads work order to determine parts to be buffed or polished.
- Holds stick of buffing compound or turns valve and depresses pedal to administer coolant to workpiece surface.
- Selects and attaches workpiece holding fixture to drive mechanism, and positions or clamps workpiece to fixture.