DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4052 Pourers and Casters, Metal
Occupational Description:Operate hand-controlled mechanisms to pour and regulate the flow of molten metal into molds to produce castings or ingots.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||50||19||$16.05/hr||$1.29/hr||$12.45/hr||$13.26/hr||$14.62/hr||$17.41/hr||$21.45/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||3,060||$20.80/hr||N/A|
|Tool and Die Makers||880||$26.32/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||440||$21.02/hr||N/A|
|Jewelers and Precious Stone and Metal Workers||90||$23.46/hr||N/A|
|Foundry Mold and Coremakers||N/A||$18.11/hr||N/A|
|Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||N/A||$16.80/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Pours molten metal into molds and forms, using ladle.
- Turns valves to circulate water through core or sprays water on filled molds to cool and solidify metal.
- Assembles and imbeds cores in casting frames, using hand tools and equipment.
- Collects samples or signals workers to sample metal for analysis.
- Removes metal ingots or cores from molds, using hand tools, cranes, and chain hoists.
- Transports metal ingots to storage areas, using forklift.
- Repairs and maintains metal forms and equipment, using hand tools, sledges, and bars.
- Stencils identifying information on ingots and pigs, using special hand tools.
- Examines molds to ensure they are clean, smooth, and properly coated.
- Loads specified amount of metal and flux into furnace or clay crucible.
- Skims slag or removes excess metal from ingots or equipment, using hand tools, strainers, rakes, or burners, and recycles scrap.
- Positions equipment or signals workers to position equipment such as ladles, grinding wheels, or crucibles.
- Reads temperature gauges, observes color changes, and adjusts furnace flame, torch, or electrical heating unit to melt metal.
- Adds metal to molds to compensate for shrinkage.