DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9121 Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products including, glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials. Excludes “Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic" (51-4193) and "Painters, Transportation Equipment" (51-9122).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||820||98||$18.59/hr||$0.46/hr||$12.43/hr||$15.16/hr||$18.07/hr||$21.97/hr||$26.08/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||1,430||$16.29/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||1,190||$17.89/hr||N/A|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||880||$14.89/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||440||$21.02/hr||N/A|
|Conveyor Operators and Tenders||310||$15.70/hr||N/A|
|Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers||240||$13.91/hr||N/A|
|Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||150||$17.39/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Sets-up and operates machines to paint or coat products with such materials as silver and copper solution, rubber, paint, glaze, oil, or rust proofing materials.
- Turns valves and adjusts controls to regulate speed of conveyor, temperature, air pressure and circulation, and flow or spray of coating or paint.
- Weighs or measures chemicals, coatings, or paints and adds to machine.
- Removes materials, parts, or workpieces from painting or coating machines, using hand tools.
- Measures thickness and quality of coating, using micrometer.
- Records operational data on specified forms.
- Cleans and maintains coating and painting machines, using hand tools.
- Examines and tests solutions, paints, products, and workpieces to ensure specifications are met.
- Operates auxiliary machines or equipment used on the coating or painting process.
- Starts pumps to mix solutions and to activate coating or painting machines.
- Selects and loads materials, parts, and workpieces on machine, using hand tools.
- Observes and adjusts loaded workpiece or machine, according to specifications.
- Observes machine operation and gauges to detect defects or deviations from standards.
- Threads or feeds item or product through or around machine rollers and dryers.
- Examines, measures, weighs, or tests sample product to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Places item or product on feedrack, spindle, or reel strand to coat, paint, or spray, using hands, hoist, or trucklift.
- Records production data.
- Cleans machine, equipment and work area, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.
- Transfers completed item or product from machine to drying or storage area, using handcart, handtruck or crane.
- Aligns or fastens machine parts such as rollers, guides, brushes, and blades to secure roll, using hand tools.
- Starts and stops operation of machine, using lever or button.
- Fills hopper, reservoir, trough, or pan with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyor or pail.
- Measures and mixes specified quantities of substances to create coatings, paints, or sprays.
- Attaches specified hose or nozzle to machine, using wrench and pliers.
- Turns dial, handwheel, valve or switch to control and adjust temperature, speed, and flow of product or machine.