DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
53-7062 Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
Occupational Description:Manually move freight, stock, or other materials or perform other general labor. Includes all manual laborers not elsewhere classified. Excludes “Material Moving Workers" (53-7011 through 53-7199) who use power equipment. Excludes “Construction Laborers" (47-2061) and "Helpers, Construction Trades (47-3011 through 47-3019).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|EDR 11 - 7 County Twin Cities||19,470||1,032||$14.19/hr||$0.34/hr||$8.64/hr||$10.20/hr||$13.00/hr||$17.38/hr||$22.42/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers||6,540||$13.77/hr||N/A|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||6,370||$10.33/hr||N/A|
|Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment||3,410||$10.44/hr||N/A|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||3,060||$20.80/hr||N/A|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||880||$14.89/hr||N/A|
|Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers||170||$17.79/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||170||$13.10/hr||N/A|
|Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles||60||$30.21/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Carries or moves cargo by handtruck to wharf and stacks cargo on pallets to facilitate transfer to and from ship.
- Guides load being lifted to prevent swinging.
- Stacks cargo in transit shed or in hold of ship as directed.
- Attaches and moves slings used to lift cargo.
- Shores cargo in ship's hold to prevent shifting during voyage.
- Arranges equipment preparatory to sessions and performances following work order specifications and handles props during performances.
- Produces special lighting and sound effects during performances, using various machines and devices.
- Sews and repairs items using materials and hand tools such as canvas and sewing machines.
- Orders equipment and maintains equipment storage areas.
- Connects electrical equipment to power source and tests equipment before performance.
- Reads work orders and follows oral instructions to determine specified material and equipment to be moved and its relocation.
- Erects canvas covers to protect equipment from weather.
- Adjusts controls to guide, position and move equipment, such as cranes, booms, and cameras.
- Adjusts controls to raise and lower scenery and stage curtain during performance, following cues.
- Rigs and dismantles stage or set equipment such as, frames, scaffolding, platforms, or backdrops, using carpenter's hand tools.
- Loads and unloads materials to and from designated storage areas, such as racks and shelves, or vehicles, such as trucks.
- Directs spouts and positions receptacles, such as bins, carts, and containers, to receive loads.
- Stacks or piles materials, such as lumber, boards, or pallets.
- Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination, using crane or hoist.
- Transports receptacles to and from designated areas, by hand or using dollies, handtrucks, and wheelbarrows.
- Shovels materials, such as gravel, ice or spilled concrete, into containers, bins or onto conveyors.
- Reads work orders or receives and listens to oral instructions to determine work assignment.
- Bundles and bands material, such as fodder and tobacco leaves, using banding machines.
- Assembles product containers and crates, using hand tools and precut lumber.
- Adjusts or replaces equipment parts, such as rollers, belts, plugs and caps, using hand tools.
- Records number of units handled and moved, using daily production sheet or work tickets.
- Attaches identifying tags or marks information on containers.
- Cleans work area, using brooms, rags, and cleaning compounds.
- Installs protective devices, such as bracing, padding or strapping, to prevent shifting or damage to items being transported.
- Sorts and stores items according to specifications.