DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
25-4031 Library Technicians
Occupational Description:Assist librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compile records; sort and shelve books or other media; remove or repair damaged books or other media; register patrons; and check materials in and out of the circulation process. Replace materials in shelving area (stacks) or files. Includes bookmobile drivers who assist with providing services in mobile libraries.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Office Clerks, General||4,670||$13.58/hr||23.5%|
|Receptionists and Information Clerks||1,910||$14.35/hr||26.7%|
|Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants||1,340||$20.63/hr||15.3%|
|Billing and Posting Clerks and Machine Operators||810||$16.31/hr||21.0%|
|Counter and Rental Clerks||670||$9.24/hr||18.8%|
|Library Assistants, Clerical||190||$11.63/hr||9.4%|
|Postal Service Clerks||110||$25.88/hr||-49.1%|
|Credit Authorizers, Checkers, and Clerks||60||$13.86/hr||9.7%|
|Insurance Claims and Policy Processing Clerks||30||$17.07/hr||27.3%|
Tasks for Library Technicians
- Assists patrons in operating equipment, obtaining library materials and services, and explains use of reference tools.
- Verifies bibliographical data, including author, title, publisher, publication date, and edition on computer terminal.
- Files catalog cards according to system used.
- Designs posters and special displays to promote use of library facilities or specific reading program at library.
- Composes explanatory summaries of contents of books or other reference materials.
- Prepares order slips for materials, follows up on orders, and compiles lists of materials acquired or withdrawn.
- Compiles and maintains records relating to circulation, materials, and equipment.
- Directs activities of library clerks and aides.
- Issues identification card to borrowers and checks materials in and out.
- Reviews subject matter of materials to be classified and selects classification numbers and headings according to classification system.
- Processes print and non-print library materials, and classifies and catalogs materials.