DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
27-1027 Set and Exhibit Designers
Occupational Description:Design special exhibits and movie, television, and theater sets. May study scripts, confer with directors, and conduct research to determine appropriate architectural styles.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|Commercial and Industrial Designers||60||$22.89/hr||18.8%|
Tasks for Set and Exhibit Designers
- Integrates requirements including script, research, budget, and available locations to develop design.
- Researches and consults experts to determine architectural and furnishing styles to depict given periods or locations.
- Estimates costs of design materials and construction, or rental of location or props.
- Reads script to determine location, set, or decoration requirements.
- Directs and coordinates set construction, erection, or decoration activities to ensure conformance to design, budget, and schedule requirements.
- Assigns staff to complete design ideas and prepare sketches, illustrations, and detailed drawings of sets, or graphics and animation.
- Examines dressed set to ensure props and scenery do not interfere with movements of cast or view of camera.
- Confers with heads of production and direction to establish budget, schedules, and discuss design ideas.
- Selects furniture, draperies, pictures, lamps, and rugs for decorative quality and appearance.
- Prepares rough draft and scale working drawings of sets, including floor plans, scenery, and properties to be constructed.
- Presents drawings for approval and makes changes and corrections as directed.
- Designs and builds scale models of set design or miniature sets used in filming backgrounds or special effects.
- Prepares preliminary drawings of proposed exhibit, including detailed construction, layout, material specifications, or special effects diagrams.
- Inspects installed exhibit for conformance to specifications and satisfactory operation of special effects components.
- Designs, draws, paints, or sketches backgrounds and fixtures for use in windows or interior displays.
- Oversees preparation of artwork, construction of exhibit components, and placement of collection to ensure intended interpretation of concepts and conformance to specifications.
- Confers with client or staff regarding theme, interpretative or informational purpose, planned location, budget, materials, or promotion.
- Arranges for acquisition of specimens or graphics, or building of exhibit structures by outside contractors to complete exhibit.
- Submits plans for approval, and adapts plan to serve intended purpose or to conform to budget or fabrication restrictions.
- Designs display to decorate streets, fairgrounds, building or other places for celebrations, using paper, cloth, plastic, or other materials.