DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
35-1011 Chefs and Head Cooks
Occupational Description:Direct and may participate in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Food Preparation and Serving Workers||650||$13.40/hr||5.1%|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers||370||$16.71/hr||5.0%|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers||300||$29.76/hr||N/A|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers||100||$15.76/hr||19.8%|
|First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Workers||40||$22.80/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Chefs and Head Cooks
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Helps cooks and workers cook and prepare food on demand.
- Observes workers and work procedures to ensure compliance with established standards.
- Trains and otherwise instructs cooks and workers in proper food preparation procedures.
- Estimates amounts and costs and requisitions supplies and equipment to ensure efficient operation.
- Collaborates with specified personnel and plans and develops recipes and menus.
- Determines production schedules and worker-time requirements to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Evaluates and solves procedural problems to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Records production and operational data on specified forms.
- Inspects supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.