DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
29-1071 Physician Assistants
Occupational Description:Provide healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conduct complete physicals, provide treatment, and counsel patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants. Excludes "Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics" (29-2041), "Medical Assistants" (31-9092), "Registered Nurses" (29-1141), “Nurse Anesthetists” (29-1151), “Nurse Midwives” (29-1161), and “Nurse Practitioners” (29-1171).
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change 2010 - 2020|
Tasks for Physician Assistants
- Interprets diagnostic test results for deviations from normal.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests.
- Develops and implements patient management plans, records progress notes, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
- Examines patient.
- Compiles patient medical data, including health history and results of physical examination.
- Counsels patients regarding prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance.
- Performs therapeutic procedures, such as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care, and managing infection.