DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
43-5011 Cargo and Freight Agents
Occupational Description:Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Northwest Balance of State||60||29||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop||780||$8.62/hr||N/A|
|Postal Service Mail Carriers||650||$21.20/hr||N/A|
|Food Servers, Nonrestaurant||590||$10.47/hr||N/A|
|Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping||70||$13.30/hr||N/A|
|Meter Readers, Utilities||30||$22.69/hr||N/A|
|Parking Lot Attendants||N/A||$9.82/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Cargo and Freight Agents
- Prepares manifest showing baggage, mail, freight weights, and number of passengers on airplane and teletypes data to destination.
- Obtains flight number, airplane number, and names of crew members from dispatcher and records data on flight papers of airplane.
- Prepares airway bill of lading on freight from consignors and routes freight on first available flight.
- Verifies passengers' tickets as they board plane.
- Positions ramp for loading of airplane.
- Unloads inbound freight and baggage and notifies consignees of arrival of shipments.
- Forces conditioned air into interior of plane for passenger comfort prior to departure, using mobile aircraft-air-conditioning-unit.
- Removes ramp, and signals pilot that personnel and equipment are clear of plane.
- Arranges for delivery of freight and baggage to consignees.
- Oversees or participates in loading cargo to ensure completeness of load and even distribution of weight.