DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4035 Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend milling or planing machines to mill, plane, shape, groove, or profile metal or plastic work pieces.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Northwest Balance of State||N/A||N/A||$18.34/hr||$0.50/hr||$13.83/hr||$15.76/hr||$17.86/hr||$20.98/hr||$23.36/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic||470||$16.04/hr||N/A|
|Sheet Metal Workers||150||$26.50/hr||N/A|
|Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||70||$13.86/hr||N/A|
|Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||N/A||$17.31/hr||N/A|
|Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||N/A||$18.32/hr||N/A|
|Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||N/A||$11.28/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Selects and installs cutting tool, stylus, and other accessories according to specifications, using hand tools or power tools.
- Moves controls to set cutting specifications, position cutting tool and workpiece in relation to each other, and start machine.
- Moves cutter or material manually or by turning handwheel, or engages automatic feeding mechanism to mill workpiece to specifications.
- Observes machine operation and adjusts controls to ensure conformance with specified tolerances.
- Selects cutting speed, feed rate, and depth of cut, applying knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Verifies alignment of workpiece on machine, using measuring instruments, such as rules, gauges, or calipers.
- Turns valve to begin and regulate the flow of coolant on work area.
- Studies blueprint, layout, sketch, or other specifications to determine materials needed, sequence of operations, dimensions, and tooling instructions.
- Computes dimensions, tolerances, and angles, of workpiece or machine according to specifications and knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Positions and secures workpiece on machine, using holding devices, measuring instruments, hand tools, and hoists.
- Verifies conformance of finished workpiece to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as microscopes, gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- Removes workpiece and template or model from machine.
- Mounts attachments and other tools, such as pantograph, engraver, or router, to perform other operations, such as drilling or boring.
- Replaces worn tools, using hand tools.
- Sharpens dull tools, using bench grinder.
- Makes templates or cutting tools.
- Records production output.