DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-9196 Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
Occupational Description:Set up, operate, or tend paper goods machines that perform a variety of functions, such as converting, sawing, corrugating, banding, wrapping, boxing, stitching, forming, or sealing paper or paperboard sheets into products.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Northeast Balance of State||N/A||N/A||$23.33/hr||$1.10/hr||$9.73/hr||$20.24/hr||$25.88/hr||$28.55/hr||$30.15/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||120||$11.51/hr||N/A|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||40||$15.14/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adjusts guide assembly and folding mechanism according to specifications, using hand tools.
- Removes finished cores and stacks or places them on conveyor for transfer to other work areas.
- Examines completed work to detect defects and verify conformance to work orders.
- Cuts products to specified dimensions using hand or power cutters.
- Disassembles machines to repair or replace broken or worn parts using hand or power tools.
- Starts machine and regulates tension on pressure rolls, synchronizes speed of machine components and temperature of glue or paraffin.
- Places roll of paper or cardboard on machine feedtrack and threads paper through gluing, coating, and slitting rollers.
- Fills glue and paraffin reservoirs and loads automatic stapling mechanism.
- Observes operation of various machines to detect machine malfunctions and makes corrections for product to meet specifications.
- Installs attachments to machines for gluing, folding, printing, or cutting.
- Measures, spaces, and sets saw blades, cutters, and perforators, according to product specifications.