DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
47-2044 Tile and Marble Setters
Occupational Description:Apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Southeast Balance of State||20||7||$20.19/hr||$1.84/hr||$11.49/hr||$16.44/hr||$18.84/hr||$23.22/hr||$30.83/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Brickmasons and Blockmasons||N/A||$24.19/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tile and Marble Setters
- Positions and presses or taps tile with trowel handle to affix tile to plaster or adhesive base.
- Cuts and shapes tile, using tile cutters and biters.
- Measures and cuts metal lath to size for walls and ceilings, using tin snips.
- Wipes grout between tiles and removes excess, using wet sponge.
- Brushes glue onto manila paper on which design has been drawn and positions tile's finished side down onto paper.
- Mixes and applies mortar or cement to edges and ends of drain tiles to seal halves and joints.
- Installs and anchors fixtures in designated positions, using hand tools.
- Tacks lath to wall and ceiling surfaces, using staple gun or hammer.
- Selects tile and other items to be installed, such as bathroom accessories, walls, panels, and cabinets, according to specifications.
- Measures and marks surfaces to be tiled and lays out work, following blueprints.
- Spreads plaster or concrete over surface to form tile base and levels to specified thickness, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Cuts tile backing to required size, using shears.
- Spreads mastic or other adhesive base on roof deck to form base for promenade tile, using serrated spreader.