DETAILED OCCUPATION DATA
51-4111 Tool and Die Makers
Occupational Description:Analyze specifications, lay out metal stock, set up and operate machine tools, and fit and assemble parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools.
|Geography||Employment||Emp SE*||Mean||Mean SE*||10th||25th||Median||75th||90th|
|Southeast Balance of State||250||58||$22.11/hr||$0.51/hr||$15.56/hr||$19.20/hr||$21.93/hr||$25.59/hr||$28.66/hr|
|*SE = Standard error, a measure of the statistical reliability of the estimate.|
(click title for details)
|Employment||Median Wage||% Change -|
|Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic||370||$17.76/hr||N/A|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||160||$16.83/hr||N/A|
|Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, &Tenders, Metal & Plastic||120||$14.30/hr||N/A|
|Molders, Shapers, and Casters, Except Metal and Plastic||N/A||$16.33/hr||N/A|
Tasks for Tool and Die Makers
- Studies blueprints or specifications and visualizes shape of die, part, or tool.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments, such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, and rulers.
- Lifts, positions, and secures machined parts on surface plate or worktable, using hoist, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Sets pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnace, and feeds or places parts, tools, or assemblies into furnace to harden.
- Designs tools, jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids.
- Casts plastic tools or parts, or tungsten-carbide cutting tips, using pre-made molds.
- Cuts, shapes, and trims blank or block to specified length or shape, using powersaws, powershears, rule, and hand tools.
- Fabricates sawblades, using power roller to straighten blade stock, punch press to cut teeth, and power grinder to sharpen teeth.
- Connects wiring and hydraulic lines to install electrical and hydraulic components.
- Inspects die for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects by touch or visually, using loupe or microscope.
- Operates power press to test completed dies, and applies pigment to die to indicate high spots which require reworking.
- Sets up and operates drill press to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Repairs or modifies tools and dies, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Fits and assembles parts, using bolts, glue, and other fasteners, and hand tools, such as hammers and wrenches.
- Smoothes and polishes flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloth, or power grinder.
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, and grinders, to machine parts.
- Computes dimensions of assembly and plans sequence of operations.